Being comfortable in your home isn’t just about temperature – it’s about the quality of your indoor air. Poor indoor air can contribute to allergy problems, health issues and problems with your air conditioner. There are a number of products on the market that can help you achieve good indoor air quality in Land O’Lakes, and Ierna’s can provide the professional installation you need for all upgrades to your air conditioning system.
Common Air Contaminants
There are a number of common air contaminants that can affect your indoor air quality:
- VOCs (volatile organic compounds) – VOCs are carbon-based chemicals that emit gases from certain types of solids and/or liquids, many of them household items. Effects can be short- or long-term. Typical substances that emit VOCs are paint, paint strippers, cleaning supplies, pesticides, glues and adhesives.
- Carbon monoxide/dioxide and nitrogen dioxide – these types of fumes typically enter the air in your living spaces from large appliances like furnaces and hot water heaters, which use combustible fuels such as oil and gas. Wood-burning stoves and kerosene heaters can also contribute to this kind of indoor air pollution.
- Respirable particulates (RSPs) – RSPs are small particles from aerosols, tobacco products, unvented kerosene and gas heaters and wood combustion that can penetrate and linger in the deeper part of your lungs (the non-ciliated portions). This can cause serious problems for those with chronic respiratory disorders like asthma and COPD, and can also cause ongoing irritation for others, including coughing and wheezing.
- Biological contaminants – mold, mildew, fungus, algae, dust mites, allergens, bacteria and viruses are all biological contaminants that can reside, develop and grow within your air conditioning system and become a part of your indoor air.
Health Problems That Can Ensue from Poor Indoor Air Quality
- Allergic reactions
- Respiratory attacks (with disorders like asthma)
- Respiratory issues (coughing, wheezing)
- Nose bleeds
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
- Muscle pain
As you can see, there can be a lot going on with your indoor air, and it may make you unhealthy.
If you are concerned about the quality of your indoor air, call Ierna’s Heating & Cooling today and schedule an appointment with one of our experts.