Every air conditioning system is eventually going to need to be replaced. The question you want to ask is how do you figure out when yours is on its last leg before it completely breaks down and stops providing you with any cool air. Knowing when your air conditioner is due for a replacement, and what your options for your next system are, will be highly beneficial to your comfort this summer.
We can help you out. We’ve listed the biggest indicators that you should watch for to figure out if and when you need to plan for an air conditioning replacement in Lutz, FL in the near future.
How Do You Determine When You Need an AC Replacement?
Figuring out what the signs are that you have an air conditioner that needs to be retired is important. Knowing the indicators will give you a chance to get the process of a replacement started before your system completely breaks down and leaves you without comfort for days or weeks on end. Here are the warning signs to watch for:
- Your air conditioner is getting too old: Age matters in this situation. Your AC is built to last between 10 and 15 years. If your air conditioner is over 12 years old or has hit/passed the 15-years mark, it means you should start planning ahead for a replacement in the near future. Even if you don’t need a new system for a couple of years, knowing how old your system can give a good point of reference on when you may want to start saving up for a new one.
- The system still uses R-22 refrigerant. R-22 refrigerant has ceased production as of January 2020 so if your AC still uses this refrigerant, recharges will only get more expensive and eventually impossible. If you check your system and find it still uses R-22 you will want to plan for a replacement soon.
- Your AC isn’t cooling your home anymore. Your air conditioner has a job to do and that is to cool your home. If your system can’t do this anymore, then you are simply paying for an overpriced fan that doesn’t do much to help your comfort. When your system stops doing its job, schedule a replacement ASAP.
- Repairs have gotten to be too frequent and expensive. It is rare that an AC never needs repairs but this doesn’t mean a system should need to be fixed all the time. If you went from scheduling a repair every few years to scheduling a yearly repair along with your yearly tune-up, it means your system is going to give out sooner than later. Likewise, if you find a repair costs the equivalent of half or more of the most of a new AC system, it is better to simply opt for a replacement.
What AC Options Do You Have?
So if you need a replacement you should know what your options are for a new cooling system. These include:
- A Central AC: These are great for even cooling throughout the home and are energy-efficient systems.
- Ductless Heat Pumps: Ductless systems can be used without the need for ductwork and offer high energy efficiency and custom comfort options.
Need a new AC? Contact IERNA’s Heating & Cooling to schedule your service.