Taking care of your Tampa HVAC system is not just your responsibility as a homeowner, it is also the best way to protect your investment and save money on utility bills. A well-maintained HVAC system runs more efficiently and last longer than one that is neglected, meaning big savings to you.
So what should you do to maintain your HVAC system? It doesn’t take much, but it is a year round process.
First of all, have your system inspected every year by a Tampa air conditioning and heating professional. This is best done in the spring, when you likely won’t be using your heating or air conditioning, allowing you to get ready for the summer cooling system. During an annual inspection, a professional technician will perform routine maintenance and repairs, such as replacing air filters, tightening loose fittings, inspecting ductwork and fixing any small problems before they grow larger.
Beyond this professional walkthrough, you should also do your part to keep the whole system clean. That means doing things like:
- Cleaning vents monthly, with either a damp rag or a vacuum hose. This gets the dust and debris out of the way so your air handler can function efficiently and you don’t breathe in pollutants and allergens.
- During the heating and cooling seasons, inspect your air filters monthly. Clean and/or replace them when they are visibly dirty, or according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Once a season, take a few hours to clean your furnace room. Sweep out any debris that could get sucked into the intake, and check to see that fitting are clean and rust-free. Similarly, clean the area around an outside air handler if you have an outdoor air conditioning or heat pump system.
- Program your thermostat to turn heating and cooling down during the hours that no one is home.
- Keep your home clean and clear of dust and dirt. Vacuum carpets and dust hard surfaces often. Less dust in the home means less dust in the ventilation system.
Small tasks like these have a cumulative effect on keeping your whole HVAC system running smoothly for as long as possible, which saves you a bundle in the long run. For more information about HVAC system maintenance, give Ierna’s Heating & Cooling a call today!